Late nite spotting

At the top of this precarious looking display is a Hanover. Hanover is not listed in the database, so I really need to go to this bar in daylight or with a portable spotlight once Nanowrimo is over to get much better pictures.

Are you Ready to Feed the Rhino?

Of course, the magic of typewriters is always active.
Time to write this novel! I created this cover in Jan 2017

This year, I intend to at least try scanning typed pages to dump into Scrivener. Otherwise I will have to make words on the Alphasmart – again.. which is cool. It’s almost a typewriter!

Bikecast!

I have wanted to take a typewriter for a ride for a long time, and finally got around to it. Unfortunately a dog scared the birds away almost as soon as I sat down to type a picture of them, so I’m afraid this trio is all I can offer. However not to worry, I brought my swimming kit, so all is fine and dandy.

The water is 16.6 degrees C, about as warm as it will get this summer. The safer seas and rivers app tells me the water is also clean enough to swim in. I never venture in these days without checking. Southern Water has an abominable reputation for dumping untreated sewage into the sea, and this year was fined millions for its misdemeanours. But today all is looking pretty nice.

On the Thames

My first zip on the cable cars yesterday. I do not have a head for heights so taking photos was a good distraction.
Getting my land legs back along Southbank, we met these guys. It was so good to see poets with typewriters again. I asked for a poem, and received a lovey response.
I love the fact that the word “unbroken” is the only word here with a typo. The poets blog included here at the top of the image 🙂

Elegant ugly

As soon as the non-essential shops were allowed to open again, we went straight out to poke around in the junk shops. Only one thing on my mind of course and here’s what I found…

A mere £220 and you still need to fix it up
Slightly less on the price tag , but still a big fat no thanks
Are you kidding me? Lockdown has been messing with everyone’s minds
Seems like a reliable hulk but too big to carry up the hill
In the same junk shop as the Adler. £22, for an SM 9? that’s more like it. Knocked it down to £20, not noticing the dodgy ancient platen knob fix until I got it home.
I also discovered this little issue, no wonder the carriage was a bit sluggish in the shop. What you can’t see in this picture is the hideous tangle behind the mainspring. Those teeth on the edge of the mainspring drum are really dangerous to fingers. With extreme caution I gave the drawband some slack with one hand and used a pair of tweezers to free it from the jaws of death and reposition back into place.
Which just left one more twist to sort. Fortunately the SM9 has a nifty hook arrangement on the end of the drawband.
These alcohol mini-wipes have been really useful for disinfecting phones and public touch-screen tills and ticket machines. Turns out they’re good for getting rid of old tippex on rubber too.
Say “aaahhhh”
Ok, you’ll do. Pretty cool for an ugly office machine. Owned by one person, a Mr French of Hastings, and purchased for the princely sum of £61.56 inc tax, in August, 1974
I love these original packing details!
Factory export ticket! Tucked in under the plastic form in the case since 1974.
Here’s that awful platen knob fix. Mr French! What were you thinking?! Some kind of epoxy gunk which oozed all over the place. Not sure I want to tackle a remedy for this at the moment. I can live with the wonk for now.

New Year, New Phone

Well of course! A 1960s GPO Bakelite from Brighton. Plugging it in (already converted) it received calls but could not dial out. Oh dear.
Searching for clues online, I found advice that recommended checking the wiring and a drop of light oil on the dial spindle to increase dial speed. So I took the back off to check the wiring and find the spindle…

Hmm. The wiring was correct but the whole area underneath was drenched in oil, so I dabbed up as much as I could with cotton buds and slips of newsprint, and added a new drop to the spindle nut, feeling that this was not the answer. And it was not. The dial still returned too slowly. From zero it should return while you say “one, one thousand and one” and stop on the last “one”.

Further searching (on YouTube, the Facebook telephone groups were a dead end) told me to go on in from the front. (Edit: I would have tried to do the next part from underneath but I thought I would have more space going in from the front) The newer (1070s) models make this easy. This model is tricky if it’s your first go. Just take photos at every stage and make sure you do. I did not. These are photos I took putting the phone dial back together.
Getting this enamel plate off is an absolute pain. All the chipped enamel was not my doing, wiggle the number plate off very carefully. Take photos.
Ok we are in. Don’t be intimidated. It’s just like a typewriter only with two bells.
If the dialling is too slow, you need to gently squeeze these two metal prongs, (which have weights on the ends which you can’t see. ) Then test your dial before fitting the plates back on. Plug phone back into socket. Lift receiver, turn dial mechanism while listening. On return the dial tone should disappear when your number has dialled. If not, go back and squeeze a little bit more.
Fit your paper disc in place. This is not my number, by the way, it is the original Vintage Brighton number, and I have not tested it for time travel tickets yet
All done. Thank goodness for that! Radiator cover still needs a couple more coats of paint… Bit for now, let’s have a cup of tea and a biscuit. Happy New Year, all.

P.S! this is the only phone we will be fixing on type the clouds, for this year at least. Back to typewriters now. I have a new Lettera 22 to smarten up …