Another case fixed

The case for my Spanish Lettera 32 was in a sorry state, with a hanging zip and a loose base inside. Not to mention filthy on the outside. A scrub with Cif and a sponge got it smelling nice before I started on the zip.

Saggy seams. Someone not impressed! This is not up to standard for holding secret documents. Or typewriters.
Saggy seams. Someone not impressed! This is not up to standard for holding secret documents. Or typewriters.
I appear to be sewing it to my knee. This is because you can't hold the thing and take the picture at the same time.
I appear to be sewing it to my knee. This is because you can’t hold the thing and take the picture at the same time.

The holes from the broken stitches are still there, so make a good guide for the mending. I used a strong linen thread and a big fat sturdy needle. Ordinary sewing thread and needles will not be up to this. The best stitch to use on bags and cases is the shoe-stitch: do a running stitch, all the way to the end of the line and then turn back on yourself and fill in the gaps with another running stitch. (Back-stitch is messy and awkward!)

Yuk. Just, yuk. But interesting to see the slap-dash way in which the original glue was applied.
Yuk. Just, yuk. But interesting to see the slap-dash way in which the original glue was applied.

I was outside doing this fix because the next bit was very smelly. I’ve used Bostick Fast-Tack to successfully glue another case back together. Spray it on all over on both surfaces, wait a couple of minutes and then press together. It will bond in a few minutes or less depending on your surfaces.

The Stuff.
The Stuff.
Ready to go.
Ready to go.

It’s not the prettiest, but now it works fine, and smells a lot better. There’s no discernible odour from the glue.

Advertisements

Hello, Barcelona typer.

32 name badgeI’ve been having some fun with another Lettera 32. This one was made in Spain.

barcelonabarcelona2twotonetwotone2barcelona3

The sugru stuck fast to the body, but did not like the shell paint.
The sugru stuck fast to the body, but did not like the shell paint.

I thought there might have been some grease, stopping adhesion, but it was as clean as I had thought I had made it. So I sanded the paint down to the metal to try for a better grip. I kept the original sugru in there, and added more, this time, up to where the screw should be. Before it set (you get 30 minutes’ play) I put the ribbon cover from the other Lettera 32 on to check clearance. It was fine, but I noticed the difference in paint textures.

Maybe this time...
Maybe this time…
the ribbon cover is from my Italian-made L32
the ribbon cover is from my Italian-made L32

barcelona4

Less troubling to work out than the other one!
Less troubling to work out than the other one!

touchy

The Scientific Type?

sterling1

Actually it was made in Belgium!
Actually, Brian, it was made in Belgium!
Tasty, just you know, not Pi.
Tasty, just you know, not Pi.

sterling2Sterling left profileSterling

what the jings crivens happened here?!
what the jings crivens happened here?!

sterling3

The connections were loose here. fiddlesome but straightforeward to fix.
The connections were loose here. fiddlesome but straightforeward to fix.
Holding the typebar right up, position the loose part and pry open the connecting end a little with a small tool to slide the two back together. (The tiny bolt is held in place on one side, so a gap will open up.)
Holding the typebar right up, position the loose part and pry open the connecting end a little with a small tool to slide the two back together. (The tiny bolt is held in place on one side, so a gap will open up.)
Space bar not working. At. All. Found the place where it was jammed - and unjammed with sewing machine oil. yes, this thing is still filthy in this picture! More cleaning is needed, but for that I need to remove the body shell. Aurgh. Lots of screws!
Space bar not working. At. All. Found the place where it was jammed – and unjammed with sewing machine oil. yes, this thing is still filthy in this picture! More cleaning is needed, but for that I need to remove the body shell. Aurgh. Lots of screws!

I should say that I removed the ribbon cover (easy, four screws) before cleaning the type segment, and that I was very careful not to drip the cleaning fluid onto the painted surfaces.

Il pleut et pleut et pleut

On Monday morning, my youngest was practicing her French, “Il pleut, et pleut, et pleut…” it turned into a sort of chant, or song. Later I was convinced she had performed some kind of rain spell. My shoes are still drying out.

gathering gloom, precipitation within sight.
gathering gloom, precipitation within sight.
A study of rain on window, as the view was non-existent for the rest of the day.
A study of rain on window, as the view was non-existent for the rest of the day.

Happy Typewriter Day

Happy Typewriter Day 2015

From the Adler Tippa 1,  at the Mad Hatter's Typewriter Party
From the Adler Tippa 1, at the Mad Hatter’s Typewriter Party
From the Lettera 32 at the Mad Hatter's Typewriter Party
From the Lettera 32 at the Mad Hatter’s Typewriter Party
From the Monarch Pioneer at the Mad Hatter's Typewriter Party
From the Monarch Pioneer at the Mad Hatter’s Typewriter Party

We each started a piece of writing on our chosen typewriter, and then a caller (not typing, tsk!) shouted out “All change!” at a random moment and we moved on one place at the typing table. Some of us were able to type faster than others, but everyone contributed and we had a great time! Happy Typewriter Day!